For my regular readers, you'll know that I'm a fan of quick healthy food choices. I've never been a breakfast person, and don't find myself getting peckish until late morning when I can't really make eggs at my desk.
In a previous post I made my egg muffins, which are a great healthy on the go breakfast choice! However, as I struggle with bloating - too many eggs weren't the best choice. Since then I've been on the hunt to find another alternative that I can prepare on a Sunday, ready for a weeks worth of healthy on the go breckie!
I recently stumbled across this recipe for oat breakfast bars, and they're the simplest to make, very filling and quite simply delicious. You can use as many or as little ingredients as you want, depending on your tastes - and I whip them up in about 10 minutes. What more could you want?
For this recipe you need:
- 200g porridge oats
- 100g almonds (I use packed ground almonds)
- 150mls water
- 2tbsp honey
- Start by blending the almonds (or pour in the ground almonds into the blender) and mix with half of the water. If you want to add the dates, then add (75g) of these into your blended mix. These are recommended for extra stickyness but I'm not a fan of them!
- Once you have blended all of this together, add in the oats and the rest of the water, then add in the honey. Blend all of this together until you have a semi-smooth mixture. I also add 60g of chocolate chips in at this point to add a little sweetness.
- Pour the mixture into a deep baking tray (I use a bread loaf tin that works just as well) and flatten down with the back of a spoon, packing it all in
- Put in the fridge and leave to set overnight
- Once firmed, cut into 8 equal slides
- Wrap up a slice ready to take on-the-go!
These really are an enjoyable breakfast treat, and are only approximately 175 calories per serving! This is a great low-calorie breakfast alternative, especially when I'm tracking my calories using my Lose It! app. I get the sweetness I need to satisfy my cravings, and one square keeps me going right up until lunchtime. I hope you enjoy!